This playful activity is a group activity that you can play with your friends and in the same time you can learn how communication works. You are assigned to complete a communication code task and then reflect on the results with your friends.
Duration: 1 hour
Steps: 1.Divide into groups of 4: 1 will become the Joker, 1 the Eyes, 1 the Hand and the rest the Ears. The Joker will acquire the role of the instructor.
2.For the context of the activity, you should have access to a quiet room where all have to enter one by one.
TO BE READ NOW BY THE JOKER: 3. The first to enter is the Eyes to whom you will provide the picture (Annex A) and ask him to memorize as many information as possible, because he will have to explain what he saw to the Ears without being to see them or use gestures, only via speech.
4. Give to the Ears 5 minute to see the picture
5. The rest will be waiting outside until you ask someone from the Ears to join. They are free to select their order of entrance, but the Hand should enter at the end.
6. Once 5 minutes have passed, remove the picture from a place with visible access and ask they Eyes and the Ear to sit in two chairs learning against each other, so they cannot see each other.
7. The Eyes will have 2 minutes in his possession to explain what he saw by using as much descriptive details as possible.
8. The Ears should memorize the details given by the Eyes but they are not allowed to keep notes or draw what they are being told. Also, the only thing they can say and ask to the Eyes is “Can you describe it again?”.
9. When the time is up, Eyes has to get up and stay into a corner of the room without districting the procedure or give clues to the rest participants of the activity. The same applies to everyone who completes the task.
10. Now you can ask another Ears to enter the room and sit against the previous Ears who received the picture information orally and repeat the process.
11. The same rules apply among Ears as well: a) 2 minutes to describe the information about the picture they heard b) notes are prohibited and c) the only questions allowed is to ask the one who describes to repeat again
12. When the last Ear is over, ask the Hand to enter the room and sit back-to-back with the last Ears who heard the description of the picture and repeat the process one last time.
13. The same rules apply between the Ears and the Hand: a) 2 minutes to describe the information about the picture Ears heard b) notes are prohibited and c) the only questions allowed is to ask the one who describes to repeat again
14. When time is up, give A4 paper and markers and ask the Hand to draw what he heard. Give 5 minutes.
15. Show to the rest what the Hand has drawn. Is that what they had in their minds?
16. Now reveal the original picture
17. Ask yourselves:
a.Is the drawn picture the same as the original?
b.What has changed?
c.Why do I think the communication information did not pass 100%?